Tuesday 20 June 2023

Sitecore Indexes rebuild causes site crash/recompile!!

Have you ever ran into issue where while rebuilding sitecore indexes; the sitecore instance just suddenly recompile?!, checking log files and there are no errors related to indexes? here is a quick blog post where I wanted to share one issue I have faced and how did we troubleshoot and resolve. 

I worked on a new upgraded website where I ran into issues with the site recompile suddenly while rebuilding Sitecore indexes, checking log files and there were no error related to indexes issues, even when checking Solr logs no errors were found! but then I remoted into my CM instance and noticed the following: 



I noticed that the server memory usage is increase while index progress, up to the moment where the server memory is fully used and then caused the server to kill the w3wp process and site to recompile and no errors in logs. 

So I started to look what would be causing the site to use a lot or basically the whole server RAM, reviewing custom configuration I found out the following sitecore configuration: 

<setting name="Caching.DisableCacheSizeLimits" set:value="true" />

Reading about it in Sitecore doc: 

To disable all cache size limits and allow Sitecore to take advantage of any available memory.

But that was causing a bigger issue to me, so once I disabled that setting by changing the value to false, indexes rebuild where moving steady until its completed and the server memory where 80% utilize meanwhile.

If you would like to read more about disable cache size limits setting, check out the following sitecore documentation: 


Hope this will help someone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment